Friday, October 10, 2008

The Locator.....

Sunday October 5th was my boyfriend John's 36th birthday. Although he had a "happy" birthday, there was a sadness about him that lingered on throughout the day. At one point I said, "are you OK?" he said, "you haven't ever been around me on my birthday before, it isn't the best day of the year for me". Enough said, I knew exactly what he was referring to.

John was adopted 3 days after he was born. (Now, I have had friends and family members who have been adopted, but I guess the impact of it never really hit home until I spent the day with John on his birthday.) He was without a "parent" for those 3 days in a nursery somewhere in Indiana. All he knows about his birth mom is that she was young when she gave birth to him. Nothing else. John has a sister who was also adopted, but from a different birth mother. After spending every bit of $5000.00 on looking for her birth mom, she found out that she wanted nothing to do with her. This has kind of discouraged John from looking for his I believe.
So....in my curiosity and in my seeing John on his birthday, wondering about all the unknowns and the what ifs...I am now on a mission. I have registered him on all the adoption registry sites that I find, I have read stories about people searching and about reunions that would make the devil cry. Very interesting and some unbelievable. I have even contacted Troy Dunn...The Locator, which by the way is an awesome show! (watch for John on there someday - ha ha) Anyway, all we have to go by is his birth certificate, no names, no nothing. He knows his heritage is Irish, how I am not sure, but he does know that. His mom and dad have no information on the adoption and I guess at one time made a grave effort to find her for John, but had no luck.
So wish me luck and if you have any suggestions or helpful advice I can certainly use it. This is kind of an addiction, I just keep hoping one day there will be an email from his mother...I know how badly John wants to know this woman, how awesome would that be if I could make that happen? That satisfaction in itself is worth every second I put into this journey!!

2 comments:

kim said...

this story leaves me so choked up..knowing his pain and having you in his corner helping him become fulfilled, Angie...you're an incredible woman and I'm proud to call you my friend :)

The Locator said...

Angie, hey- Troy "The Locator" here. Just read your blog and have asked my team to peruse it as well. We are inundated right now with tens of thousands of similar requests, but we do our very best to try to help as many people as possible.
Your family is in my prayers and I do wish you success in your journey, whether we can help or not. With a wife like you, he can't lose!
All my best,
Troy Dunn
"The Locator"